Baked Ziti With Summer Veggies
Photo Credits from: Anguel Dimov
Calling all pasta lovers! I have found you a recipe that is delicious, has mouth-watering aromas, and is visually appealing, Baked Ziti with Summer Veggies (tomatoes, summer squash, and zucchini). Sounds awesome doesn’t it, and who doesn’t love food with summer vibes? I do! Even if you’re not a pasta lover, I promise you’ll love this recipe.
This recipe is full of color and yummy cheeses such as mozzarella cheese, parmesan, and ricotta cheese. It takes only 20 minutes of prep, and about 1 hour and 7 minutes to cook, totaling 1 hour and 27 minutes. It’s worth the wait!
When your meal is ready, treat yourself, and 3 other people, to awesomeness this meal offers.
- 4 oz. dry whole wheat ziti (or penne) pasta
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups chopped summer squash
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil leaves
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¾ cup part-skim Mozzarella cheese divided use
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
Cook ziti according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375º F.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, summer squash, and zucchini; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes.
Combine onion mixture, pasta, basil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if desired), ½ cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and ricotta cheese in a large bowl; mix well. Place in a 2½ to 3-quart casserole that is lightly coated with spray.
Top evenly with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella cheese. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Head to the BeachBody website for full details on the recipe.