Let’s get back to nature
Let’s take ourselves back to over 5,000 years ago, when many cultures used plant oils for a variety of health conditions. They were often used for relaxation, beauty care, home cleaning and most often used as natural medicine.
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS?
Essential oils are organic compounds extracted from plants with tremendous healing properties. They originate from chinese medicine methods and are now being re-introducing as the best alternative to synthetic medicine. Bringing our healing process back to nature and treating our bodies holistically.
Just adding some of the most common essential oils like lavender, frankincense, lemon, peppermint and tea tree oil to your natural medicine cabinet may:
>Fight cold and flu symptoms
>Relax your body and soothe sore muscles
>Heal skin conditions
>Reduce cellulite and wrinkles
>Clean your home
A French chemist, René-Maurice Gattefossé used lavender oil to heal a burn on his hand all the back in 1928. He then decided to further investigate the properties of lavender oil and how it could be used to treat other types of skin infections, wounds or burns.
With this the science of aromatherapy was born. The use of these oils began to spread especially with practitioners of alternative medicine, such as massage therapists and beauticians throughout Europe.
Aromatherapy surprisingly did not become popular in the U.S. until the 1980s when essential oils began to be added to various lotions, candles or other fragrances.
There are also trained professionals such as aromatherapists, physical therapists, massage therapists, nutritionists or even doctors of natural medicine who use aromatherapy in their practice. They are trained in specific uses for essential oils.
My Top 10 Essential Oils + Health Benefits
Each and every essential oil contains compounds with unique healing and therapeutic benefits. Here are some of my most popular essential oils and how to use them.
1. Clove: Antibacterial, anti-parasitic and antioxidant protection. I use this on any mouth ulcers I might feel appearing.
2. Eucalyptus: Improves respiratory issues like bronchitis, sinusitis and allergies. I use to uplift & invigorate the body.
3. Frankincense: The king of oils! Builds immunity, reduces inflammation, heals age spots, supports brain and may help fight cancer. This one you need to have in your collection.
4. Ginger: Reduces inflammation, supports joints, improves digestion and relieves nausea. I drink this with hot water and lemon at least once a day.
5.Grapefruit: Supports metabolism and cellulite reduction. I enjoy a couple of drops in cold water plus mixing with coconut oil and rub on areas of cellulite.
6. Lavender: Helps with relaxation, improves mood and heals burns and cuts and so much more.
7. Lemon: Great to use in homemade cleaning products as a natural antibacterial tool. Beautiful to diffuse and mix with eucalyptus.
8.Oregano: Powerful antimicrobial properties, can kill fungus and help you kick a cold fast. Applying this to our feet at night is a good way to introduce oregano.
9. Peppermint: Supports digestion, boosts energy, fever reducer, headache and muscle pain relief. And makes a top addition for baking and smoothies. Add a few drops to your next batch of chocolate brownies it tastes delicious.
10. On Guard: Supports healthy immune and respiratory function when used internally. Ingest to support the body’s natural antioxidant defenses. It can also be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. Small bonus it smells like Christmas!
There are of course so many more oils to share but I wanted to tell you my top 10 and the health benefits behind them. I will be doing a short LIVE webinar in March on essential oils and how to begin to use them. I will keep you all posted on the actual date, so keep your eyes and ears open.
Lets live with the earth and heal ourselves naturally x